President Muhammadu Buhari has suspended Justice Walter Onnoghen and appointed Justice Mohammed Tanko as acting Chief Justice of Nigeria on Friday at the Presidential Villa Abuja.
Justice Walter Onnoghen was suspended by Buhari and Justice Mohammed Tanko was announced as the new CJN at the Council Chambers.
Onnoghen has been in the past few weeks been standing trial at the Code of Conduct Tribunal for incomplete declaration of assets.
According to Buhari Mohammed Tanko, who is the next most senior supreme court justice was appointed following the suspension of Onnoghen as ordered by the CCT.
The new acting Chief Justice of Nigeria, Tanko is from Bauchi.
— Presidency Nigeria (@NGRPresident) January 25, 2019
- Election Tribunal Members Inaugurated By Acting CJN Mohammed Tanko
- Senate Goes To Court Over Onnoghen’s Suspension Faults Buhari
- Onnoghen Convicted By CCT Sacked Immediately
- Code Of Conduct Tribunal Orders Immediate Arrest of Onnoghen By Police
- Code of Conduct Tribunal Adjourns Onnoghen’s Trial Indefinitely